The dental podcast revolution
Looking for the best dental podcasts? Here are our top picks.
Take broadband Internet connections and add portable digital listening devices, and you get one of the most revolutionary media channels in the world: podcasting. It’s named after the iPod, which was the portable digital listening device that also transformed how we listen to music. As the technology came together in the early 2000s, it also went by the name “audioblogging,” since, like blogging, it offered industrious individuals a low-cost way to broadcast their ideas to potentially massive audiences. But unlike blogs, podcasts could be consumed in the car, at the gym, or any other place your busy lifestyle took you. You weren’t stuck staring at a screen, and hearing the voice of your host added a social layer of complexity that the written word couldn’t touch.
It was only a matter of time before some dentists tried podcasting themselves. It’s hard to say who started the dental podcasting movement, but I’m sure there are some folks who would like to snag that title. Whoever they were, the early podcasters experimented with formats, marketed themselves through social media, and slowly but surely grew their fan bases.
Here’s a roundup of some of the most popular shows that are streaming to dentists and dental teams across the world.
AcciDental Geniuses with Mike and Josh
Dr. Josh Austin. Dr. Mike DiTolla. Separately, they are two of the most entertaining and informative presenters I’ve ever seen. Together, they have created the funniest dental podcast on the market. If you’re looking for a break from heavy clinical and practice management discussions, then this is the podcast for you. Although they do give great advice for dentists, they mostly keep to making each other laugh and catching up about their busy lives.
The Dental Hacks
Although statistics on podcasts are hard to find, one could argue that this show is the most popular. Drs. Alan Mead and Jason Lipscomb call themselves dental hacks in the sense of “life hacking,” not that they are hacks themselves. After catching up with each other, they conduct a humorous interview with famous or soon-to-be-famous members of the dental community. The third segment of the podcast is truly unique: the Brain Trust. A handful of dentists get together and discuss a topic, often sharing embarrassing stories and practical advice.
The Dentist Money Show by DentistAdvisors.com
I'm sure a lot of companies think they can just produce their own podcast and instantly attract new customers. But Dentist Advisors, a wealth management firm focused on working with dentists, did it the right way.
In this podcast, Reese Harper, CFP, and his guests share all of their wisdom with their listeners. If you're like me, financial planning can be like a foreign language. But Reese provides clear explanations of complicated concepts, and interviews other industry experts to help you generate and manage your cash.
The Passionate Dentist with Dr. B
Dr. Bilal Saib is unique. He's a practicing prosthodontist, he's a world traveler with a passion for community service, and he is fascinated by practice management. Each week he interviews an expert on business or clinical dentistry in a relaxed, conversational style.
A Tale of Two Hygienists
Do you ever wonder what your RDHs are saying about you? A Tale of Two Hygienists follows the adventures of Michelle and Andrew, two prolific podcasters, as they swap life and employment stories and interview dental professionals. As a dentist, it's like eavesdropping on the RDH world.
- AcciDental Geniuses, with Mike and Josh
- The Alan Mead Experience
- The Best Practices Show, with Kirk Behrendt
- Blatchford Solutions Podcast, with Dr. Bill Blatchford
- Bulletproof Dental Practice, with Dr. Peter Boulden and Dr. Craig Spodak
- The Delivering Wow Dental Podcast, with Dr. Anissa Holmes
- Dental Drill Bits, with Sandy Pardue
- The Dental Guys
- The Relentless Dentist Show, with Drs. David and Karah Maloley
- Dentistry Uncensored, with Howard Farran
- Dentistry’s Ideal Practices Podcast, with Jayme Amos
- Dentists, Implants, and Worms, with Dr. Justin Moody, Gabe Olson, Jeff Smith, and Dr. John Landers
- Dental Implant Practices, with Philip Gordon, DDS
- The Dental Marketer, with Michael Arias
- Dental Marketing Mastery, with Howie Horrocks and Mark Dilatush
- Dental Practice Management
- Dental Practice 911 Radio, with Hogan Allen and Richard Train
- The Dentalpreneur Podcast, with Dr. Mark Costes
- Dental Up Podcast, with Shaun Keating, CDT
- The Dentist Freedom Blueprint, with Dr. David Phelps and Evan Harris
- The Navigating Dental Insurance Podcast, with Ben Tuinei and Jordan Comstock
- The Optimized Dental Practice Podcast, with Dr. Mike Abernathy, Max Gotcher, and Jonathan Moffat
- Shared Practices - Your Dental Roadmap to Practice Ownership - Custom Made for the New Dentist, with Richard Low, DMD
- Start Your Dental Practice, with Jonathan VanHorn
- A Tale of Two Hygienists, with Andrew Johnston, RDH, and Michelle Strange, RDH
RELATED: The seven best podcasts in dentistry | By Jordon Comstock | DentistryIQ