The on-demand recording for this presentation is now available. Register today to access the video!
The practice of dentistry is constantly changing. Pandemics, recessions, competition, technology, labor, materials, and inflation. Can doctors stay independent? Should they stay independent? Do we look to DSOs, GPOs, or just stay like we are?
In this event, we want to help you understand the economic forces facing dentistry. We want you to learn about DSOs and GPOs. Let’s take a look at the options. Let’s understand and look at data around inflation, practices, and the numbers behind affiliating with DSOs, GPOs, and independent practice.
- Attendees will understand that macro events, events happening around the world, are ever present and through the use of best practices the financial turbulence can be minimized.
- Attendees will understand the influence of inflation on dental practices and be able to list four components of the practice that change during increased periods of inflation.
- Attendees will be able to list at least three practice “styles” available to the independent dentist and be able to discuss the benefits and negatives of each style of practice
- Attendees will be able to list three differences between a DSO and a GPO.
- Attendees will understand the critical importance of procurement and the tools available to increase their procurement efficiency.
- Attendees will understand the financial benefit of efficient procurement and the contribution of procurement to the profitability of the dental practice.
Dr. Mustafa Shah-Khan is a practicing general dentist in Charlotte, NC. He graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a BS in chemistry and received his DDS from UNC’s School of Dentistry. Dr. Shah-Khan has served on the Board of Directors of the UNC School of Dentistry’s Dental Alumni Association as well as the Board of Directors of the Charlotte Dental Society. He has been a member of the nationally recognized Spear Education’s Faculty Club as well as CEREC Doctors’s Academy. Dr. Shah-Khan is a contributing author for many nationally recognized journals including Dental Economics, Inside Dentistry, Dental Product Shopper, and Dentaltown. His articles have been based on the preservation of the independent dental practitioner and the economics of private practice. Dr. Shah-Khan and his wife reside in Charlotte, NC, with their two children.
Dr. Richard Offutt attended Davidson College in Davidson, NC. He was elected Phi Beta Kappa while at Davidson. He earned his DDS from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. At UNC he was elected to Omicron Kappa Upsilon and Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities. Dr. Offutt attended the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, where he received specialty degrees in periodontics and endodontics. Upon the completion of his specialty training, Dr. Offutt was a professor at the University of Pennsylvania. He has practiced periodontics and implantology in Charlotte since 1982. He has devoted an extensive number of days to continuing education in the areas of dental implants and periodontology. Dr. Offutt is married to Becky and they have four grown children. Dr. Offutt is a member of the American Dental Association, The Academy of Osseointegration, and North Carolina Dental Society.